Rules for Futsal are almost exactly like outdoor soccer with a few exceptions:
- 5 minutes for warm-up before game
- Teams will play 2 – 25 minute halves
- 5 minutes for half time
- The referee will start the clock exactly at 5 minutes after the start of warm-up and halftime. If teams are not ready this will cut into their playing time. Referees will give 2 and 1-minute warnings for teams.
- The clock will run continuous; no time will be added to the clock for any reason.
Number of Players
- 5 field players
- 1 goalkeeper
- 4 subs on the sideline
- Unlimited - "On the fly" (can sub without a stoppage of play)
- The player being substituted must leave the court before the substitute can enter.
- Any infringement will require the substitution to be reversed (substituted players must switch) and an indirect kick will be awarded to the opposition.
- Goalie substitutions must occur with referee permission during game stoppage
Balls Out Of Play
- A line will denote the touch lines (sidelines) and goal lines which will define the field. The line is considered a part of the field of play.
- A whole ball must travel beyond the line to be out of play.
- When a ball is out of play on the touchline, it will be played in as a kick-in from the other team.
- When a ball is out of play on the goal line, it will be a goal kick or corner-kick, depending on which team last touched the ball.
- A goal kick must touch the ground within the defensive half, before crossing to the offensive half. If the ball crosses the mid-line without touching the ground, an indirect kick from the mid-line where the ball crossed, is awarded to the opposing team. **U7-U10 Divisions: Goal kicks can be passed to a teammate before coming out of the penalty area (older divisions must play the ball out of the penalty area on the kick - just like outdoor rules).
- Goalkeepers may only use their hands within the defined goalkeeper box.
- As with a goal kick, a distribution by a goalkeeper must touch the ground within the defensive half, before crossing to the offensive half. If the ball crosses the mid-line without touching the ground, an indirect kick from the mid-line where the ball crossed, is awarded to the opposing team.
- All penalties will be awarded consistent with the laws of the outdoor game.
- Direct and Indirect kicks will be awarded accordingly.
- Direct kicks within the goalkeeper box will be awarded a penalty kick. The penalty kick will be taken from the top of the penalty area.
The basic compulsory equipment of a player is:
- A jersey or shirt, shin guards, shorts, & socks.
- Footwear - the only types of footwear permitted are canvas or soft-leather training or gymnastic shoes with soles of rubber or a similar material. The use of footwear is compulsory